Monday, 24 October 2016
1968-01-08 - Jimi Hendrix - Stockholm, Sweden [1st show] [FD Cleanup]
01 - Intro
02 - Sgt. Pepper
03 - EXP
04 - Up From The Skies
05 - Spanish Castle Magic
06 - Foxy Lady
07 - Little Wing
08 - Fire
09 - Catfish Blues
10 - The Wind cries Mary
11 - Purple Haze (end cut)
Lineage: ATM 166 > Adobe Audition (EQ, Comp - LOTS of minor edits!) > FLAC
This is a highly problematic tape due to the amount of mic noise, bursts of signal distortion, attenuation and other problems with this historic show.
I have tried cleaning/editing EXP/Up From The Skies before - this is a new attempt. I tried to remove as many mic rumbles and issues as possible without affecting the music.
Despite that - it can still be an annoying listen - Spanish Castle Magic for example is all over the shop. I have included previous notes about this tape below just in case anyone is unaware of its problems.
Now - having tried to tweak the tape to bring out its best, it is a little hissy because of levels on the tape - I applied a little bit of noise reduction but not very much because it sounded more authentic without it. That said the levels on the tape go up and down - just listen to SCM for example. But to EQ the signal of EXP/Up From the Skies meant bringing up the latent hiss in the tape...
There is also some phasing going on as well - apparent in intro and quieter sections of the tape...
My own personal theory with this tape is that the taper was using a dodgy mic to record it - and perhaps the taper was accidently hitting the volume (?) as it recorded hence the massive spikes in gain that occur. Then the sound goes down to nothing. I am not sure whether this was done at the venue or whether this was a mic dub of the original?
For example at one stage the taper is blowing into the mic perhaps to check if it was recording? It didn't affect things so I cut it out.
Link
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

Thank you for this!
ReplyDelete